For many decades we have been told that eating a low-fat diet will make us skinnier. I am here to clarify this myth today. I personally always lived on a low-fat and low- oil diet. I thought that was the way to a forever slim body. Meanwhile, I always dealt with being hungry, having low blood sugar, and feeling tired and unfocused. I couldn’t leave the house without snacks. I was doing it all backwards. Several months ago, I changed my way of eating. I started to add fat to my diet. I wanted to see what would happen. What happened shocked me and I wish I would have known sooner. I started to eat less. All my work in Pilates and Barre class started to show. I was so focused because I wasn’t feeling the effects of low blood sugar (I have dealt with low blood sugar since I was a child)
How did adding fat to my diet change me? Let’s break it down.
I was finally feeding my body and my brain the fuel it really needed. When consuming a low-fat diet, these foods turn into sugar in our bloodstream and make our blood sugar drop. This leads to feeling hungry and unfocused. This leads to cravings for bad sugary foods because our bodies need a boost of energy. When we include good fats in our diet, our brain gets nourished and we burn fat instead of storing the sugar in our liver and turning it into fat.
Thus, eating fat does not make you fat. It burns your fat and boosts your energy levels!! Plus, it helps with our hormones and gets rid of sugar cravings which is a Win Win!
The kind of fat you are including in your diet is very important. Not all fat are created equal. Here is a list of 6 good fats that I use. Try using some in your diet and see what happens.
THE BEST 6 HEALTHY FATS FOR YOUR BODY / BRAIN
- Avocados- I live on these and would be lost without avocados. It’s one of the healthiest fruits and has no sugar. There are so many great benefits to avocados. Eating them regularly make your skin soft which keeps your skin young. It’s packed with vitamin D, rich in monounsaturated fat which lowers bad levels of cholesterol and has high levels of folate. Avocados can be added to anything and everything; smoothies, salads, dinner. Cut it up add a little sea salt and olive oil and eat as a meal. I have a special dessert recipe for you below!! Yay!
- Oils- There are ton of rancid oils out there that can cause diseases, inflammation, etc.. Stay away from unrefined oils and stick to these:
Coconut oil– one of my favorite oils to use. It’s so versatile. It’s rich in medium-chain fatty acids which makes it easy for your body to digest. It won’t store in the body as fat and gives energy. It has caprylic acid which helps with having good gut health and getting rid of candida. It helps with inflammation in the body since it’s an anti-inflammatory food. When choosing one, make sure to choose unrefined. This oil can be used at a high heat as well as great in salads, baking, (replace canola oil, sunflower oil in your baking), sautéing, etc. Also there is a MCT oil that is a derivate of coconut oil.
Avocado oil – As I said above avocados have a lot of great health benefits. This is my new favorite oil to cook with. It can be used a high heat and also great in salads.
Extra virgin olive oil- Is good for your heart and has anti-inflammatory benefits. Think about the Mediterranean diet. This diet is so healthy filled with lots of good fats. Make sure to buy a high quality olive oil since the cheap ones have it mixed with other oils. They are not pure and will not give you the same benefits.
- Ghee (clarified butter)- This is something new I have brought into my diet. I am allergic to dairy and would never think to try it. The good news is there is no lactose and its casein free. Not once has it bothered my stomach. Ghee comes from the milk being simmered then scraped from the top. The process is done again and the thicker part on top is scraped off. It’s the cream of the crop. It has omega3 and omega 6 fatty acids that help feed your brain. And can be used for cooking at high heat. Add to your sautéing, omelettes, etc. I have a recipe for you below using Ghee.
* Use grass fed butter if you can’t find Ghee. It has similar benefits. It does have lactose in it.
4. Eggs– Are the perfect food. They are often referred to as “nature’s multivitamin”. They are filled with vitamins, minerals, protein, and good fats. Another myth is too only eat the white part of the egg. It’s the yolk that has all the benefits. Eat the entire egg! They help bring down cholesterol and do not raise your risk of heart disease. Eggs feed your brain because of the nutrient choline in it. Make sure to choose organic, cage free eggs. It makes a huge difference on the quality you are getting.
- Omega 3s – Our bodies are not capable of producing them on their own. You can find Omega 3s in wild caught salmon, fish oil supplements, nuts such as walnuts, seeds such as chia seeds and flaxseeds, green veggies such as Brussel sprouts, spinach, kale and watercress.
- Coconuts – I love all things coconut. I use coconut milk in my smoothies, I make my famous coconut whip cream, and use it in curries, teas, etc.
HERE ARE A FEW RECIPES WITH GOOD FAT:
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup coco or cacao powder
- ¼ raw honey, maple syrup or for sugar free use stevia or monkfruit to taste.
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk or regular coconut milk. ( can use any other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Put all ingredients in a blender and whip until smooth. Put into fridge and let it get chilled for at least 1 hour.
*This is very rich and creamy by itself. But if you would like to dress it up. Add cinnamon, cacao nibs, berries, top with coconut whip cream.
Inspired by Bulletproof Coffee / tea recipe
This is inspired by a bulletproof recipe. The idea is to put good fats into your coffee which feeds your brain. It will keep you full for hours and help your concentration. It releases the caffeine slowly through your body. Go here to read about the bullet-proof lifestyle.
- 1-2tbs Ghee or unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1-2tbs of MCT oil or if you want to try out Bullet proof Brain Octane™or XCT oil™ (these are 18x and 6x stronger than coconut oil, with no flavor. They are NOT generic MCT oil, which is about 1.6x stronger than coconut oil)
- 1-2 cups (~250-500ml) of hot coffee brewed or tea. I use tea since coffee cracks me out.
Steps To Make Bulletproof Coffee
- Make coffee or tea. Brew coffee/tea as you normally would. Make sure it’s a good quality tea/coffee.
- Add the brewed coffee or tea, butter, and MCT oil or Brain Octane™ to blender. Blend until there is a thick layer of foam on top like a latte. The stronger the blender, the better. A spoon won’t work for blending.
- If you want it to be more like a latte add coconut milk, or any non -dairy milk. if you need it sweet add some stevia or maple syrup. Blend it up. Sprinkle with cinnamon on top and enjoy!! It so good and creamy!!
Always be kind to yourself , enjoy your life and the food you put into your body!!
Stay connected and don’t miss out on unique Experiences & Discoveries.
Sign up now!